Friday, January 27, 2012

Tipile


When I was a child living in the Dominican Republic, we sometimes had a dish called "tipile".  This is dish made with wheat, onions, parsley, pepper, cilantro, tomatoes, lime, salt, olive oil and vinegar.


Many years later, while living in New York, I learned of a dish called "tabbouleh" that had similar appearance and taste.  Considering that the names and dishes are so similar, I assumed they have the same origin.


I have since learned that the tabbouleh/tipile dish comes originally from Lebanon.  I am guessing that the name comes from the Arabic language.


Recently I saw a web ad for a Spring Tabbouleh recipe, and it brought fond memories of my childhood, and sparked a discussion about foods from different cultures.


If you are interested, you can view the Spring Tabbouleh recipe that I am writing about.

No comments: